Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Charts

I decided that it was about time I put my children to work. No, I am not violating any child labor laws. I am simply assigning them household chores that they are responsible to complete. Hero and Jericho each have their own chart with simple tasks to accomplish such as "Brush teeth, make bed, pick up toys." At the end of the day, they get stickers for each box that has been completed. At the end of the week, they will get one penny for each sticker. (Yes, I know. I'm cheap, but they think pennies are great.) We also have a chart on the refrigerator. This chart has different chores that pertain to the household. Across the top of the chart are the different days of the week, and along the side are the jobs that need to be completed. In the boxes next to the jobs are the names of the person whose turn it is for that day. This chart is really a challenge for me. Not only does it encourage me to make sure that the daily chores get done, but it requires me to teach my children how to do each task. It's going to take some work.
This chart has helped in greatly in some ways, though. The kids no longer fight over who's turn it is to get the newspaper. Nor do they complain about having to get the dog's food...again.

No comments: